Thursday, July 31, 2008

Keep the Home Fires Burning

The other day I was chatting with my friend Suzie on the phone. As we visited number 7 walked past with a box and the connecting wire to one of his big brothers Game Boys. He had attached one end of the wire to the box and was holding on to the other end of the wire so that the box was being pulled along like a puppy on a leash. As he passed he said, "Look Mom, my doggy box". it was about a week before his 4 year birthday and I said to Suzie, "Aww, he's so cute, it makes me sad to think that he's growing up and I won't have someone doing those cute little boy things for much longer".

Suzie and I chatted for a while longer then I started to smell smoke, a little at first then stronger and stronger, until I opened the back door too see where it was coming from. On my back patio was a 3 foot wide 4 foot high fire, no little culprit in sight. I began yelling for my boys and grabbed the camera. The boys started showing up one at a time, Adam was conspicuously missing. "Who did this?" I yelled. "Get the hose". A loud pop goes off in the fire and some cardboard fire works containers roll out. The boys turn on the hose and douse the fire as a guilty looking Adam comes around the corner of the house, head down.

Mom: Adam did you start this fire?

Adam: Nn... yes? (As he shakes his head no.)

Mom: Adam you could have got hurt.

Adam: But I didn't!

Mom: You could have burned down our house.

Adam: But I didn't!

Mom: You could drive Mommy crazy!

Adam: But I didn't!

Actually he is, but not so much as his fifteen year old brother who left a box of matches on the BBQ.

Things we lost in the fire, a large box, a smaller box, a Game boy connector cord, a stuffed quacking duck, some previously burned (thank heavens) fireworks containers, a box of matches and a few random toys.

Things we gained, a smile and some perspective on little ones growing up...can't come fast enough.

4 comments:

S'mee said...

Oy. Boys! I LOVE love LOVE my boys, but they bearly killed me, or was it me them? aye, who knows, but we gave it the ol' college try at least twice a month!

Our #1 was famous, he and his best friend, at 3 (THREE!) for starting fires. The friend would start them and #1 would put them out, "cuz it was fun!"

#1 is 30 years old. He's also a Fire Fighter.

Moral of the story: They never really grow up.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness...that's all I have to say. Oh Adam....is he going to make his next birthday?

Goose Girl said...

roast marshmellows!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Anonymous said...

wow gold
wow gold
[url=http://buywowgold.ru/]wow gold[/url]

Our Family

Our Family