Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Inspired By You Wednesdays

Happy New Year!

I've decided to make Wednesdays a post that one of your amazing posts inspired. Todays inspiration comes from Annie over at anniethology.blogspot.com, sorry I am still working on the link in the text body thing.

Annie has the assignment of teaching teenagers about manners, she asked for ideas on how to approach this tough assignment. So hurry on over and leave her a comment.

Here is my little idea. I find it's effective for kids of all ages.


My Momma always said, "Manners is to do and say the kindest thing in the kindest way."

I like to illustrate that point with this little story.

A large noisy family sat down at a local restaurant. They perused the menu with much jostling, and joking, until the waitress approached to take their order. The waitress ask each family member in turn what they would like to order and, as it turned out, everyone ordered roughly the same meal, a hamburger shake and fries. Finally the waitress turned to the last person left to order, a quiet 4 year old boy carefully studying a menu that he couldn't read. "And What would you like young man?" Asked the waitress looking him in the eyes.

"I'd like a..."

"Oh he'll just have what the rest of us are having!" Interrupted his Mom.

The waitress ignored the Mom and again asked the boy, who's lower lip was beginning to quiver, "What would YOU like to order young man"

The boys eyes lit up, the quivering lip firmed, "I'd like a hot dog, with ketchup," He replied.

As the waitress moved away the little guy looked up at his Mom with wonder in his eyes, "Wow! She thinks I'm real," he said.

Teenagers need to remember that adults are real and adults need to remember that teenagers are real. We should treat each other like we treat our coolest friends. I try to remember what it felt like to be a teenager and how emotional everything felt. I expect that my teenagers will remember that I'm new at this parenting teenagers thing and communicate calmly both my successes and failures.

Being noticed and listened to is one of the greatest feelings any of us can have. Children of all ages respond to feeling really seen and heard. Listening to our children and being willing to learn from what they tell us open the lines of communication and willingness for them to learn from us.
I am not a big one for New Years Resolutions but it's been on my heart to really open up to and with my children. They amaze me everyday with their amazing gifts of life, their talents and compassion, they need to hear it from me everyday, heaven knows they hear enough of my complaints and frustrations.

So there you have, it my one and only New Years Resolution: Notice and listen to my children, Husband and everyone that crosses my path in such a way that they will say in amazement, "Wow, she thinks I'm real."

9 comments:

Cathy Brian said...

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

That's why you are my friend, you amaze me. Hopefully I can so the same this year. Thinking about how the feel might help me communicate better. Just need to think about the situation on hand first and not after. You know like the NAKED YOGA thing. Love ya.

Unknown said...

I see my name!

I'm going use your ideas in my class.

Unknown said...

That's me, Annie! I'm at my bro-in-laws. Doh!

WILLOW TREE said...

This is one of the best posts I've read in a long long time. LOVED the whole thing! What a great lesson to take into the New Year; Thank You.

Blessings, Carolynn

Valerie said...

Great post and great lesson!! Thanks.

Listening, really listening is a lost art.

Mr. and Mrs. Nurse Boy said...

Excellent post! Thanks for sharing that story...what a wonderful reminder! Now, I need to go spend some quality time with my little ones...

Mrs. Nurse Boy

Anonymous said...

Hey Doll,

Love your blog and particularly this post. I can help you with the "link" thing. Let me know.
Love,
SMIL (Suz' mom-in-law)

in time out said...

this is a beautiful post. I love that you were inspired by someone out here...mee too. so often much of what i ponder on comes from reading and thinking....hey, IM REAL because I am not the only one feeling and frustrated, and having fun. so THANKS. And thanks for asking how I am doing. I am okay...but better then my usual okay. Haven't been writing much. I will get back to it. Thanks for asking. me.

Our Family

Our Family