Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Love and, Uhh, Logic?

Love and Logic Parenting, I've never taken a course but am fairly sure love and logic describe my parenting. I always, except when I'm screaming like a fish wife, try to lovingly explain, in terms my boys can understand, why I do or ask them to do certain things.

Bathroom privacy is a big deal for my boys, I've never been able to potty train my laddies without giving them their space, for pooping that is, they'll pee anywhere. And, though they demand their pooping privacy, I've yet to figure out the logic that will convince them to offer me the same privilege.

Lately it's #7. I am sure he has a Mommy Potty Warning System, it goes off the minute I head for the bathroom. No matter where he is or how sneaky I try to be he's there, my little commode comrade.

So lovingly and logically I presented my request for privacy.

Boy Mom: #7, Mommy would like to be alone in the bathroom.

#7: Why?

Boy Mom: so I can poop in peace.

#7: Why?

Boy Mom: Do you like Mommy to stay out when you are pooping? (This is the logic part)

#7: Yes. (I think he's getting it)

Boy Mom: Well, Mommy likes to be alone in the bathroom too. (The logic bullet)

#7: Ohhh! (Comprehension dawns in his little face)

#7: I'm sorry Mom! (He pats me understandingly) You can come in when I poop.

Boy Mom: Wha???? Sigh!

Maybe I should take the Love and Logic Course.

16 comments:

Snarr mama said...

I feel your pain, I also have a few commode comrades. :D

Mummy McTavish said...

And when logic fails (as it will so frequently with kids) all we have left is love. I kinda like to poop in peace too, lion however actually likes company. It's so fun to stand and watch him poop... NOT!

mandi said...

He's so nice to let you, though. Don't you see?

Mr. and Mrs. Nurse Boy said...

He is a very thoughtful guy! I don't know what the big deal is?

I worry that my kids are going to have the picture of me sitting on the pot, doing my business, imprinted in their memory. YUCK!

If I close the door, there is banging and fingers being shoved under the door. Oh, and my favorite from my nine year old...He will answer the ring phone to tell them I AM POOPING!

I guess that is the price I pay if I demand some privacy???

Mrs. Nurse Boy

Suz said...

I'll never forget the one day while I was at work using the "potty" and my co-worker bangs on the door to tell me my son was on the phone for me. I can't even have private time at work.

I love #7, funny thing is I think he just might follow any one into the bathroom, so we have learned.

Love ya

LeShel said...

oh the sweetness.
My 5 year old races me to the shower every morning and every morning we argue about how he won't be watching while I take a shower.

I'm thinking I need to add a few dollars to his therapy fund. He's got to be sick to want to be in the bathroom while I'm naked!

Stephanie said...

Soo funny!I have a potty buddy too. If I lock her out she cries on the floor right outside the door until I'm finished.

Anonymous said...

fortunately my kids have FINALLY gotten this concept. They leave me alone. It's a miracle. Now that I think about it, I will probably be pooping A LOT this summer when they are all home. :) How's the job going?

Barbaloot said...

Aw-what a thoughtful little guy:)

Valerie said...

LOL I totally understand!! I jokingly (partially true) tell people that I haven't been to the bathroom alone for 9 years!! It's a great day when I get to shut the door and no one comes and open it up!

Kathy P said...

Awwww, now that is true love... He is being so thoughtful.

Gill said...

ROFL well come on Mom, fair is fair!! hahaha that is classic. I will smile everytime i go to "powder my nose" from now on LOL. Brilliant.x

Daniel said...

hehe!

Deb said...

Ha! Sven and Princess had almost this exact conversation a couple of weeks ago:

Sven: Princess, leave the bathroom.

Princess: Why?

Sven: I like to poop by myself.

Princess: Me too! Wow! Mommy, come here! Daddy likes to poop by himself, just like me!

Nonna said...

My kids never saw me in the bathroom, even by accident and I,for one, am happy about that ! But there was always a small congregation just outside the door...

Whenever I describe how I used to scream sometimes "like a fishwife" to someone, nobody really knows what I mean...UNTIL you put it in your post ( glad you know what I mean ) LOL

Anonymous said...

[url=http://ivlkrwnnz.com]zOolVMg[/url] , GwLHWmqPQtv , http://hhmgziigpu.com

Our Family

Our Family