Friday, November 9, 2007

Mom Enjoys Some TV

Last night Richard went to the football game with his Dad. I was looking forward to sitting in blissful peace watching two of my favorite shows. OK, so I'm really not naive enough to think that, 'blissful peace', is a term that could ever be associated with my household, especially when Mom is trying to watch something she enjoys, without interruption; but, I was hoping for some semi-chaotic, TV escapism, for two hours.

There were all the usual interruptions, "Mom, I'm hungry! "We ate dinner an hour ago, how can you be hungry?" Mom, I want milk!" "On a commercial sweetie. " I want milk, NOW!" "Go to your room until you can talk nicely to Mom." "I DID TALK NICE; BUT ,YOU SAID NO!" " It's a commercial, now, Mom will get you your milk; but, you need to learn to ...." You don't want to read a commercial long lecture it was completely ineffectual anyway.

"MOM!" My ten year old runs in followed closely by his sixteen year old brother.

Ten year old: "HE'S GOING TO KILL ME!"

Sixteen year old ,with his knee on his brothers chest: "HE DESERVES TO DIE! HE'S BEING MEAN TO ALL THE LITTLE KIDS!" (Is it just me or is there some irony here?)

Mom: "GO OUT! LEAVE ME ALONE! BE NICE TO EACH OTHER! STOP FIGHTING! DO YOUR HOMEWORK! CLEAN THE BASEMENT! LET ME WATCH MY SHOW!"

So, overall my evening was going well when I heard glass break in the kitchen..."ADAM, STOP, DON'T MOVE! "No, I didn't even bother to wonder if it was someone else. I ran into the kitchen to find my
three year old standing in the middle of the room, dressed in nothing but a pull-up, holding a broken off
Apple Beer bottle.

After each of my sons was born, I have held them
in my arms, gazed into their perfect little faces and
been overwhelmed with Madonna like feelings about
their potential and what amazing possibilities may await
them. Then they turn three and I face the
possibility of my sons future as... a bar room brawler?

All in all, the evening was a huge success. Dad got to go to the game and Mom got a little TV time. Maybe next game I'll try a candle lit, bubble bath.



1 comment:

Rob said...

This is Amy commenting on your blogs though it says Rob because I am logged in as him. Anyway, we liked this poem, Rob was laughing out loud while he read and I made breakfast.
Amy

Our Family

Our Family