Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Family Tradition


Family Traditions
Hank Williams Jr.


Don't ask me Hank
why do you drink?
(Hank) why do you roll smoke?
Why must you live out the songs that you wrote?
If I'm down in a Honky-Tonk
Some ol' slicks tryin to give me corrections
I'll say leave me alone
I'm singin all night long
it's a family tradition

I come from a deer huntin' family. Every year my Dad went out with my brothers to get their deer. If, heaven forbid, they got one, we girls had to hide out in our rooms as my Mom and Dad, egads, I lie not, butchered it on the kitchen counter. It's a miracle I've never been to a therapist.

I married in to a family that hunts deer, with their cars. My Father in law has hit at least 4 ' ittle Bambi's since I've been in the family and my poor brother in law Aaron who, as car huntin' fate would have it, worked up the canyon at a golf course during his younger life, has successfully bagged at least three.

The deer huntin' with your car tradition seemed to have skipped my husband, we were only too happy to let it go in either form; but, alas Smith genes are true to their heritage, Jacob got a deer driving his brothers home from the temple Saturday night. The boys were pretty freaked out, that was just not the way to end Jeremiah's first trip to the temple. They kept their heads and made it home with only two panicky phone calls, one from them to us, one from us to them. Amazingly they didn't even scratch the Suburban, I guess deer huntin' in any form is safer in a 3/4 ton, four wheel drive vehicle.

Family Traditions
Susin' Smith Jr.

Don't ask us Smiths
Why do you drive?
(Smiths)Why don't you slow down?
Why must you aim for those big ole' eyes of brown?
If I'm behind the wheel
If I revin' the engine.
I'll say leave me alone
I'm huntin' with my car,
It's a family tradition.


Hank Williams and really bad knock off versions of songs are also a sad little Family Tradition, our poor kids.

Gotta love it.

No comments:

Our Family

Our Family